Thursday, January 6, 2011

Rivet Instrument Self, Canopy Ribs, Oil Tank Bracket

 
 
This morning I riveted the instrument shelf to the longerons and upper firewall.  I also riveted the canopy ribs in place.
I also riveted the oil tank/battery bracket to the upper firewall.
 
The fuselage is looking more and more like an airplane.
 
This afternoon I began to fabricate the hinge pin retention clip that installs on the top right side of the forward fuselage above the firewall.  I bent the small ½"x1-3/4" strip of aluminum with a 90o bend at the center and then bent each side to create a clip to capture the ends of the hinge wires.  I then drilled and dimpled the attachment holes in the retention clip and the cover plate.  I also dimpled the cover plate for the #8 screws that will hold the clip in place on the forward fuselage.  I primed both pieces.  I will rivet them together tomorrow.  I also laid the forward fuselage skin over the instrument shelf area.  I will need to dimple the holes for screws and rivets after I remove the blue vinyl film.