Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Prep Right Instrument Panel For Finish

 I sanded the rivets holding the map box to the instrument panel.   
 
 
I filled the depressions with Bondo.  I then sanded the Bondo and applied a coat of self etching primer.
 
I sprayed a coat of flat black paint on the map box door and right instrument panel in preparation for spraying the black 'Hammered' finish.
I learned yesterday that it is officially 'unofficial' that the instrument package is going to be changed.  Garmin is no longer manufacturing the 496 which is the GPS unit installed in the RV-12.  Vans has indicated they are going to redesign the instrument package around the Dynon 'SkyView' which seems to make everyone pretty happy.  The SkyView is an integrated system that includes GPS, traffic with the Mode-S transponder installed and the auto pilot.  If the package is installed as advertised it looks like the Gamin GPS and Transponder will be eliminated.  The SkyView comes with a 7" or 10" screen.  I don't think the 10" screen will fit, but I may be wrong.  Anyway this means the left and center instrument panels will need to be redesigned to accommodate the new system.  Since my next step was going to be paint and install (with rivets) the center instrument panel I have decided not to do so.  I will wait until the announcement is official and the SkyView has been installed in the factory airplane.  I don't what to have to drill out the center panel if it is going to be redesigned.