Monday, January 3, 2011

Pressure Test Fuel System – Paint Brackets

 
This morning I determined I need to change the connection between the fuel supply and fuel return tank fittings.  The clear plastic tubing and pipe clamps I put the connection together with seemed suspect to me.  I took the connection off of the tank fittings and removed the clear tubing and clamps.  I took the barbed fittings to EVCO House of Hose and they clamped a 12" section of air hose to the fittings.  A much more professional job.  As I reinstalled the connection to the fittings I discovered the flare on the end of the ¼" fuel return fitting was not large enough.  I used the flaring tool and re-flared the end of the line.  I installed the fittings and pressurized the system.  After 20 minutes the air pressure remains unchanged.
If the pressure continues to hold for 1 hour I will consider the system air tight and ready for fuel.
I also put a coat of finish paint on one side of the oil tank/battery bracket in preparation for the installation on the firewall.  I will paint the other side this afternoon.
After 90 minutes the air pressure in the fuel system dropped to just above 29 psi.  After doing some reading on the internet I have determined the pressure is too high.  Gas lines are usually tested at 15 psi for a minimum of 10 minutes.  I reduced the pressure to 16 psi and it has been holding for over 30 minutes.  I consider the fuel system tested and passed.I also painted the back side of the brackets.