Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Finish Paint Map Box Interior

 
Yesterday afternoon I applied a coat of Rustoleum black 'Hammer' finish on the interior of the map box halves, the inside of the door and the hinges.  I also sprayed the blind rivets I will use to install the hinge to the floor of the map box.  I was not too happy with the results. The paint seemed to fish-eye more than form a hammered finish.  The gray color of the primer shows through the black 'hammered' effect.   There could be several reasons why this occurred but I am sure the biggest one is operator error.  
I have decided that I am going to lightly sand the finish and then wipe the parts down with MEK before attempting to refinish them.  I think the reason for the extreme fish eye effect is the instructions on the spray can say to wash the parts with warm soapy water before painting.  I decided that would be overkill so I did not do it.  I am hoping the wiping down with MEK will take care of that challenge.  I also have a feeling I laid the paint on too thick.  I will attempt to reduce the amount of paint and see if that does the trick.  I purchased some flat black spray paint this morning.  I am going to do some experimenting to see if I can get a good finish on a piece of material without getting the fish-eye effect.