Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wings, Canopy, Air Filters

Today I took Tim, my grandson to the hangar.  Tim is still in the process of getting enough driving hours to be able to get his license.  I had him do all of the driving today.  When we arrived at the hangar we moved some of the work tables and stands around so we could install the wings.  We started by installing the air filters onto the carburetors.   We removed the yellow caps, installed and then safety wired the air cleaners.
We moved some more work tables and then installed the canopy.  We stacked some washers on the inside of the pivot points on each side to space the canopy arms far enough away to keep them from catching on the upper fuselage skin.  I used some Krazy Glue to hold them in place.  We then installed the bolts.  We also connected the canopy supports.  It works just great.  I need to remove the plastic film and clean the canopy on the inside and the outside.
After installing the canopy we started to work on the wings.  We pulled the airplane forward in the hangar to have better clearances and access on all sides.  We rolled the wing rack to the front of the hangar and removed the left wing from the rack. We jockeyed it into place and while Tim pushed I guided it into the wing receptacles on the side of the fuselage.  The wing almost went in all of the way, but no, it was a fraction of an inch from being seated.  The spar pins would not go in.  I tried the tool I had made last year, but again, it would not go in.  I had Tim drive us to Harbor Freight where I purchased a light pipe expander.  I put it into the spar bushings and it pulled the wings into line so we could insert the spar pins.  After returning from the airport I emailed Steve Jackson at the SLC Airport Authority to begin the process of being certified to do self fueling.  I will need to put some fuel in the tank soon so I can start the engine.