Monday, February 10, 2014

Conclude Pressure Test and Paint Front of Fuel Tank

Today I concluded the pressure test on the fuel tank following the modifications.  As my previous photo shows the pressure test held from 11:36 am to 1:45 pm.  I checked it again at 9:00 pm and found the balloon had burst.  I put on a new balloon and stated the test again.  This time I let some of the air out of the balloon so it had room to expand if necessary.  I started the test at 9:05 pm (Saturday night) with a photo of the balloon/tank.  I took another photo at 7:45 pm the next day (Sunday) and the balloon was still up. 
I took the final photo at 12:00 noon today (Monday).  The balloon has held for 39 hours.  I deem the test a success.

I began to prep the tank for painting.  I masked around the tank and cleaned the surface with MEK.  I applied a coat of primer.
After the primer dried I sanded the tank and applied a second coat of primer.
After the second coat of primer dried I applied a finish coat.  I will be able to reinstall the tank in a couple of days.