Friday, February 7, 2014

Sealed Sender Plate

Today I sealed the sender plate to the forward end of the fuel tank.  I prepped the tank by wiping the interior down with MEK.  I also used my small vacuum to make sure all debris was out of the inside.  Then I got together all of the supplies to seal the plate onto the tank.
I mixed a batch of Pro-Seal.  I broke one popsicle stick mixing it up.  The stuff is pretty thick when it is cold and it has been cold the past week.  Yesterday when I left the hangar it was 26o.  Today the temperature was all the way up to 38o.  It is like a heat wave.  Before mixing the Pro-Seal I attached the sender plate to the tank and used a blue Sharpie to marks the location on the front of the tank.  After mixing the Pro-Seal I spread a layer inside of the blue circle.  I stood the tank on end and placed the sender plate on the front.  I used a couple of screws to align it and then put Pro-Seal under the heads of the screws and after they were all started I used a screwdriver to secure the plate in place.
After the plate was installed I put a dab of Pro-Seal over all of the fastener heads exposed on the front, sides and bottom of the tank.  Monday, after the Pro-Seal has cured for a few days I will bring the tank home and do a pressure test.  After it passes a pressure test I will prime and paint the front of the tank before reinstalling it into the airplane.