Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Remove Air Bubbles From The Left Brake Lines

Today it is too cold to work at the hangar.  The thermometer is at 23o F, but here we are.  Today Tim, my grandson and I decided to get the air bubbles out of the left brake lines.  I connected the oil pump with brake fluid to the left bleeder valve.  I also removed brake fluid from the  reservoir.  As I pumped fluid into the system the air bubble (1-½") traveled into the bottom of the co-pilot left master cylinder.  As I continued to pump the bubble did not come out of the line at the top of the cylinder.  I continued to pump fluid.  Finally I stopped and checked the reservoir.  It was full.  I removed more fluid from the reservoir and waited.  The air bubble reappeared in the line at the bottom of the cylinder.  GRRRRR.  I pumped more fluid.  The same thing happened.  I repeated the remove and pumping process and the same thing happened again!  Frustrated (and cold!) I called MATCO, the manufacturers of the brakes.  I talked with the service tech for a few moments and we discussed several things he thought might help.  The first was to pump the brake after the air bubble enters the cylinder.  There were a couple of additional suggestions but I decided to try pumping toe brake first.  I pumped more fluid and the bubble entered the bottom of the cylinder.  Tim pumped the toe brake a few time and bubbles came out of the top line and formed in the line to the reservoir.   We waited a few moments.  Success!!  I pumped in more fluid and the bubbles moved to the reservoir.  Spilled fluid on a paper towel is evidence we worked on the brakes today.

Next we cut a notch in the top of the upholstered baggage bulkhead cover where the new fuel vent line passes through to the tailcone area.  I only cut one side of the vinyl on the forward side of the panel.  By gluing the cutout part of the panel to the vinyl I have made a hinge so the cut out piece can be moved out of the way to remove and install the panel with the vent line in place.  I used a clamp to hold the vinyl in place until it dries.