Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Miscellaneous Items At The Hangar

Today I hung several pictures I took out of my office at work.  These pictures are of B-17's, my Dad and other miscellaneous stuff.  The walls of the hangar are filling up.
I also riveted the turtle deck skins on the left and right side of the fuselage.  I attached the left side first.
I moved over to the right side and did the same thing.  I also put a note next to the fuel tank cap reminding me to seal vent holes drilled into the cap.  With the new vent system installed the vent holes in the fuel tank cap are not needed.  
I installed the length of Velcro below the left side turtle deck to hold the left side rear baggage carpet in place.  I had previously punched holes in the Velcro strip to allow the rivets to protrude through.  It seems to have worked.  The sidewall baggage carpet will be installed after the inspection.  
After that I sealed the instrument compartment as required by SB 13-12-12.  I applied some liquid Boelube to the underside of the upper fuselage skin and put a 1/16th inch bead of black RTV along the edge of the support then installed the skin.  
I also secured the upper edge of the instrument panel to the upper fuselage skin with black screws and washers.
The last thing I did today was put the rear window in place with a few clecoes to hold it there.  I will seal and install the fasteners along the turtle deck skin tomorrow.  It is difficult to see the rear window but it is there none the less.  I need to get my "Self Fueling" information sent in to the SLC Airport Authority so I can put fuel in the tank in the next few days.  I also need to call the DAR and they fellow I have asked to paint the airplane and make some final arrangements for the inspection and for the paint.  This project is beginning to come to a close.