Monday, October 18, 2010

Bolt Control Column to Brackets

It was a major challenge, but I was able to install the washers between the brackets and fins and insert the bolts through the control column and the bearings.  I used a short piece of 3/16" dowel partially pointed as a space holder for the bolt.  I used blue masking tape to hold the washers together while I inserted them into the spaces.  By wrapping the tape around the edge of the washer stack and then using small scissors to trim the tape so it was only around the edges of the washers I was able to slip them between the bearings and the fins and then insert the sharpened dowel.  After the washers were engaged on the dowel I pulled the tape and it came cleanly off of the washers.  After the washers were in place I inserted the bolt, pushing the dowel out and then put on the washer and nut.  It was not as difficult an operation as I thought it would be.
After installing the control column I dimpled the step ribs and step bulkhead as called out in the drawings.  Next I riveted the step ribs to the seat bulkhead.  I then clecoed the step bulkhead to the step ribs.