Friday, January 17, 2014

Tank Modification and Stabilator Tips

Today I purchased a white board to install at the hangar.  I decided it would be helpful to have a list of things I need to be working on.  When I arrived at the hangar, I discovered something about MEK and plastic drinking cups.  It seemed like a good idea at the time to leave the screws soaking in the cup.  I learned that is not the case.  The bottom of the cut melted and the MEK soaked into the bench top.  The screws are now fully imbedded in a plastic disk.  Oh well, I have plenty more.  I used my trusty putty knife to remove the cup bottom and screws from the bench top.  I also installed my white board and added several notes.
While at the hangar I decided to add some additional clecoes to the right side of the rear window at the turtle deck.  By adding some additional clecoes the turtle deck and window appear to fit together better.  
I then began to turn my attention to the stabilator tips.  I ordered the tips kit over a year ago.  I have decided to prepare them for mounting so I can have them painted when the airplane is painted later this spring.  The tips are ABS and are attached to the ends of the stabilator with aluminum mounting plates.  I bent the tabs on the mounting plate and then attached the right mounting plate to the stabilator tip by inserting, but not pulling 2-of the large blind rivets that came with the kit.   I will have to drill additional holes for 2-of the rivets.  I wrapped blued tape along the edge of the stabilator to mark the location of the attachment holes in the tabs.  I test fit the tip.  It looks like it is going to fit just right.
I wrapped tape around the tip and transferred the locations of the holes to the tape on the tip.  I also marked the center of each hole on the tip and drilled one hole to see if it lines up with the hole in the mounting tab.  It lined up just right.  I marked the right tip with a piece of tape inside that says "RIGHT".  I will need to put the same mark on the mounting plate.
Before going to the hangar today I spread a thin layer of PolyGon on the fuel tank sender plate and the forward face of the fuel tank.  Upon returning home I cleaned the Pro-Seal residue from the tank and the plate.  It all come off and left the parts clean.  I will work on them with a ScotchBrite pad before any reassembly takes place.