Saturday, January 11, 2014

Remove Sender Plate From Fuel Tank

I need to remove the sender plate from the front of the tank.  UGH!!  I hate to cut into Pro-Seal.  I have a flexible blade putty knife I use to separate parts sealed together with Pro-Seal.  I removed the screws holding the sender plate to the tank.  Using my putty knife I carefully pushed it into the joint and cut the Pro-Seal.  The sender plate is now off of the tank.  I put the screws in a cup on the work bench with some MEK to soak.  Because it is so cold I took the fuel tank home from the hangar.  I have the tank in my dining room.  With the warm air in the house the Pro-Seal has become more fragrant.  I will be glad when this little project is complete and I can take it back to the hangar.  I used the putty knife to scrape and cut off as much of the Pro-Seal as possible.   I decided to order some PolyGon to remove the Pro-Seal residue.  I order the material from Aircraft Spruce.  It should be here in a few days.  
In the mean time all of the materials came for the tank corner reinforcement Service Bulletin and the materials for the new tank vent system.  I will begin working on the modifications in earnest after the PolyGon has arrived.