Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fuel Tank Mod Continue

Today I continued to work on the fuel tank.  I brought a ½" chisel from my shop to help remove the Pro-Seal from the forward corners inside of the fuel tank.  It worked rather well.  With the excess Pro-Seal removed I was able to cleco the reinforcement plates to the tank corners.  I clecoed the right corner plate to the tank and drilled the required #30 holes.  I then moved the plate to the inside of the tank and final drilled the #19 holes.  Because the mandrel was still inside one of the rivets one of the holes is elongated.  I will need to fill the hole with plenty of Pro-Seal when I set the rivets.  I then clecoed the left corner plate in place inside of the tank.  I am now ready to rivet these plates in place and install new rivets in the additional drilled out locations.
I riveted the nutplates to the Moller gauge reinforcing ring. After the tank mods are complete I will need to reprime and repaint the forward side of the tank.  I will also need to do something about the upholstery cover which goes over the top of the tank.  I will need to cut a hole for the Moller fuel gauge and a hole and a slot for the new vent line.  I think I will contact FlightLine Interiors and see if I can send the tank cover to them after I have cut the holes and slot and see if they can sew a trim on them.  I will also need to modify the rear bulkhead cover to make it possible to remove it with the tank and new vent line installed.  I think a hole and a slot in the bulkhead cover will be in order also.  
I used a ScotchBrite wheel on my angle grinder to buff the forward end of the tank and the sender plate so they are ready to be Pro-Sealed in place.  I should have the tank reassembled in the next few days.