Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Baggage Upholstery Panel and New Fuel Vent

Today I reworked the right strap I attached to the baggage bulkhead panel for the installation of the bulkhead upholstery panel.  I removed the small section of the panel that is behind the fuel tank.  The modification is to allow access to the tail cone without removing the fuel tank which must be done to remove the full sized panel.  Because I installed a screw to attach the strap to the stationary part of the panel I would have to remove the tank to remove the screw in the strap which defeats the purpose of the removable section of the access panel.  I connected the panels together and drilled out the rivet attaching the strap to the removable section of the access panel.  I installed a nutplate in the access panel so that screw can be removed and the removable part of the panel can be taken out.  I reinstalled the whole panel and then put the upholstered panel in place.  I was able to attach it with the fasteners provided.
I drilled a hole in the upholstered panel for the new fuel tank vent line.  I also drilled a hole through the bulkhead and installed a snap bushing.  I put the tank back into the airplane and then proceeded to make the tubing section which goes from the tank fitting through the bulkhead.  It took 3-times to make a tube that fits correctly.  The first tube I made according to the drawings and it was too short to reach the fitting on the fuel tank.  I made another tube and after I clamped it into the flaring tool I dropped the tool and badly kinked the tube.  The third attempt was a success.  I have a piece of tubing bent to the correct configuration with a flared fitting on the right end.  The other end passes through the bulkhead.  I will need to slot the upholstered panel so I can slide it into place because once the tubing is installed it cannot be removed from passing through the bulkhead.  Now I need to make the tubing pieces which are installed behind the bulkhead to vent the tank through the bottom of the fuselage.