Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Fuel Tank Modifications Continue

Today Tim went with me to the hangar.  We worked on the fuel tank together.  We mixed up a batch of Pro-Seal and started installing some of the modification parts and pieces.  First we installed the new vent fitting at the rear of the tank. It was a challenge to get the fitting into the hole along with Pro-seal and then get a retaining nut to tighten.  I was able to get it on and it looks good from the top and from the inside.
Next we tackled the installation of the reinforcement plates in the forward corners.  I clecoed the plates in place and then we began to install the Cherry Max rivets in the right front corner.  What a mess it made.  We then installed the plate in the left front corner.  We installed the Cherry Max rivets and then the 3-machine screws and nuts.  We also replaced all of the blind rivets along the bottom and edges of the tank.
All of the rivets and fasteners are installed with Pro-Seal.  The last thing we did was install the Moller fuel gauge in the top of the tank.  I will let it cure for a couple of days before I do a final inside cleaning and install the sender plate on the forward end.  After I install the sender plate and let the Pro-Seal cure for a few days I will retest for leaks.  My next efforts will be to fabricate and install the vent plumbing system and the upholstery on the baggage compartment bulkhead.