Monday, January 20, 2014

Fuel Tank, Stabilator Tips and Stuff

Today I worked on several things.  I took the fuel tank back out to the hangar.  I also did a couple of other things.  I discovered that the switch I was able to get from OTTO is not going to work.  It needs a power source to illuminate the green light on the switch.  I suppose I could get someone to help me tap into a power source but instead I went to Standard Electronics Supply and purchased an ON/OFF rocker switch.  I installed it in the fuel pump power line and it works just great.  I will mount it in the instrument panel below the ELT switch after I have my DAR inspection and certification.  For now it is installed in the line and is under the map box so the system works like it is supposed to.  To turn off the electric fuel pump you must pull the fuse.  That is per Van's design.  So, if you need to power up the electrical system, in order to not run the electric fuel pump you must pull the fuse.  After the inspection I will be able to turn the pump on or off from the instrument panel.  I also framed the airshow poster I took down the other day to install the white board.  I had a gold colored frame I had purchased years ago.  I went to Rueles and purchased a piece of glass a some red matt board.  While at the hangar I put it together.  I need some picture hanging wire and I will be able to hang it in the hangar.  Maybe I can do so tomorrow.
After that I tackled the fuel tank.  I used my holesaw to make a hole for the Moller fuel gauge.  After cutting the hole I used the reinforcing ring to layout the screw holes.  I drilled and then deburred all of the holes.  I also drilled a hole for the new fuel tank vent. 
I used my shop vac top clean the debris from inside and outside the tank.  I then began drilling out the rivets in preparation for installing the forward lower corner tank reinforcement plates called out in the fuel tank service notice.  It is a real challenge to get the rivets drilled our correctly.  If the mandrel is still in the rivet it doesn't drill very well.  These are solid back blind rivets so the mandrels can't be punched out very easily.  So far I have been able to get them out.  Now the challenge is removing the Pre-Seal from the inside corners of the tank.  I really gooped them up when I built the tank.  Now I am paying the price for doings such a good job.
 I taped a couple of popsicle sticks together and attempted to make a scraper to remove the Pro-Seal.  It didn't work too well.  I will try bringing a narrow chisel tomorrow and see if that works better.  I have most of the Pre-Seal out of the right front corner, but I have not even started on the left front corner yet.  
I turned my attention to the stabilator tips.  I finalized the layout and drilling of the left tip.  I bent the tabs on the right tip bracket and attached it to the stabilator.  I then test fit the right tip.  It fits pretty well.
I went through the same layout procedure on the right tip because it seemed to work so well on the left tip.  I put tape around the stabilator and marked the centerline of the holes in the tabs onto the tape.  I then put tape around the tip and slid it onto the bracket.  I transferred the marks from the stabilator to the tip.  I then determined the location of the holes and marked them on the layout lines.  I drilled the holes in the tip and installed it on the bracket with clecoes.  I am impressed with how well the tips fit on both sides.  I am planning to have the tips painted with the Maroon color.  I will also have the wing tips painted Maroon so they wings and stabilator are similar.  That is all for today.  I will be back tomorrow.