Monday, September 23, 2013

Started Cooling System Installation

The first thing I did was cut the radiator cooling hoses to length.  The input hose is 30” long and the output hose is 20” long.  There is a short piece of rubber hose left which will be used in a future step.  Next I inserted the springs into the hoses.  That was a chore, but by holding the end of the spring with a pair of pliers I was able to twist them into place. 
Next I cut the stainless steel hinges to length to make the 2-halves of the cooler box hinge.  Using the hinge pin I fabricated the pin for the cooler box door.  I clamped the hinge to the cooler box door and then match drilled the hinge per the door hole layout.  I dimpled the door and used the #40 microstop to countersink the hinge.  I riveted the hinge to the door.  Next I dimpled the door for the door bracket.  I used the microstop to countersink the bracket and then rivet the door and bracket together. 
I then clamped the hinge half to the cooler box face frame and match drilled the hinge.  
I removed and deburred the hinge and then riveted the face frame and hinge half to the lower firewall.
I riveted the upper and lower cooler box ribs to the face frame and firewall.
I installed the cooler box door and safety wired the hinge pin to the upper rib.