Thursday, September 19, 2013

Finish Prop and Spinner

This afternoon I completed the installation of the spinner.  I removed the spinner plate and spinner bulkhead.  I also removed the prop and hub.  I drilled, deburred and countersunk all of the necessary holes in the gap fillers, back-up plates, the spinner and spinner plate and bulkhead.  I riveted the gap fillers to the spinner plate.  I riveted the back-up plates to the gap fillers.  I riveted nut plates to the back-up plates, spinner plate and spinner bulkhead.  I re-installed the prop along with the spinner plates and bulkhead.  I then slid the spinner in place.
I have discovered that the pitot tube is not centered in the prop shaft.  It is a little low and actually rests on the bottom of the opening in the prop adjustment fixture.  I emailed Van’s and was told if the pitot tube is exerting a downward pressure on the spinner bushing it is a problem.  I will need to make some kind of modification to center the pitot tube in the prop shaft.