Friday, September 20, 2013

Finalize Spinner Installation and Install Exhaust

Today I took the time to finalize the installation of the prop spinner.  I installed all of the screws and nylon washers on the spinner.  I then determined I would try some things I have been considering to take the downward slant out of the pitot tube and center it in the prop shaft.  My first thought was to remove the pitot block and put some kind of small wedge between the pitot block and it's mounting location on the engine.  I then determined that unless I somehow reamed the holes in the pitot block a wedge would not cause it to move.  The cap screws mounting it to the engine would keep it from assuming the slope of the wedges.  I then thought maybe if I can remove the block with the pitot tube still installed I could somehow put a slight bend in the pitot tube where it exits the pitot block, just enough to center it in the prop shaft.  I removed the cap screws and using a large screwdriver I tweaked the pitot tube just a little bit.  I reseated the pitot block and discovered the tube has moved up just a little bit.  I tweaked the tube again and voila, it worked.  I reattached the pitot block and a you can see from the photo the pitot tube no longer rests on the prop adjustment fixture,  Success!  I then installed the spinner.
Next I started to install the exhaust system. I removed the yellow plastic cups from the exhaust ports and removed the nuts from the exhaust port studs.  I disassembled the muffler and exhaust pipes be removing the springs.  I put some anti-seize past in the ball joints of the muffler.
I loosely installed the exhaust pipes on the engine and attached the muffler.  I tightened the exhaust port nuts but left them loose enough that I could move the muffler and wiggle it to seat the pipes as instructed. 
re-installed the engine cowling to make sure everything fits properly.  I discovered after all is in place the exhaust system fits just fine but spinner back plate is too close to the upper portion of the cowling.  I will need figure out a way to correct this problem.  It should be 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch from the cowling.  It is more like 1/32nd of an inch away.  I need to get 1/16th of an inch clearance.  I have some ideas I will pursue. 
I removed the cowling and continued with the installation of the exhaust system.  I tightened the exhaust port studs and torqued them in to the correct foot pounds.  I then removed the springs, one by one and filled each spring with red high temp RTV.  I reinstalled each spring and put RTV over the end of the spring at its attachment point as instructed.  It is a red globby mess.
After cleaning up from the red RVT experience I installed the heat probes on the exhaust pipes and connected them to the wiring installed with the fuselage forward wiring harness.  This completes the installation of the exhaust system.  I will start the installation of the cooling system next.
I brought home some of the components for the cooling system.   I primed them and painted them gray so I can begin installing them on the firewall.