Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pitot Tube and Prop

I put a tennis ball on the end of the pitot tube so I would not hit it and bend it while working around the front of the airplane.  I then safety wired the tubing together as shown in the drawings.
I used some gray RTV to seal the blast tube to the cooling duct over the engine and the cooling shroud over the rectifier.
I started to work on the spinner.  Using my Dremel tool I cut the bottom portion of the spinner just below the scribe line.  I used a sanding block to sand the bottom of the spinner to the scribe line.  I transferred the marks on the outside of the spinner to the inside as directed in the drawings.  I also marked and drilled the curved ends of the blade openings.  I used a hack saw to cut the blade openings out of the spinner.
I used a sanding drum to clean up the inside of the rounded end of the blade openings.  It worked pretty well.  I sanded off the tip of the spinner and prepared to hole to receive the pitot bushing.  I then installed the bushing with Loctite.  Next I marked a center line on the spinner back plate.
I got down the box containing the prop and its installation hardware.  I then installed the prop.  First I installed the spinner back plate and the rear half of the hub.  I then installed the prop blades and the nylon pitch adjusting gauge.  Next I installed the forward half of the hub, spacers and forward plate.  I am a little concerned because the pitot tube rests on the bottom of the hole in the pitch adjustment gauge.  I will need to call Vans and see if that is acceptable.  

Next I put tape on the prop blades and proceeded to fit the spinner in place.  I could tell that the round open ends of the blade spaces needed to be sanded a little more. I installed the spinner and clamped it in place.  I removed the lower spark plug from each cylinder so I could turn the engine over.  I used the ladder to hold a piece of heavy wire in front of the pitot tube.  As I turned the engine the pitot tube did not move out of alignment with the wire.  
I will be ready to attach the spinner to the plate tomorrow.