Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cooling System Installation Continues

Today I opened the cooler box door and found a problem with the RTV gasket.  It was not cured and the RTV stuck to the firewall.  I put automotive wax on the firewall but apparently that was not the correct wax.  A small section of the gasket came stuck to the door but the majority of it didn't.  I cleaned the RTV from the firewall and the door and started over.  
I went to the Smith's market on 90th South and purchased some paraffin wax.  I put a good coating of wax on the firewall and reapplied RTV tot eh cooler box door.  I reinstalled the door on the cooler box hinge and closed it, holding it shut with a piece of safety wire.  I tried to make the bead of RTV smaller in hopes it will create a gasket but not be too thick.  Hopefully by tomorrow it will be cured.
Before reinstalling the cooler box door I fitted the radiator to the firewall and cooler box face frame.  I enlarged the holes in the radiator tabs and elongated them so it fits properly.  I also prepared the Seal Face for installation on the radiator by removing the blue vinyl film and deburring the edges.  I will install the radiator and seal face tomorrow.