Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Cooling System Continues

Today I continued to work on the cooling system.  I put some wax on the firewall area behind the cooler box door.  I scuffed the edges of the aft side of the cooler box door and applied a bead of red high heat RTV around the edge of the door.  I used a piece of safety wire to hold the door closed so the RTV will form a gasket around the edge of the cooler box door.
Next I installed the oil tank.  I installed the large clamps on the oil tank mount.  I placed the tank in the mount and tightened the clamps.
I cut a 1- ½" piece of hose to make the oil vent interconnect.  I then formed the oil vent tube from some .062x3/8 aluminum tubing.  The tubing goes from the vent port on the oil tank behind the engine mount and down past the gascolator.  I inserted the end into the oil vent interconnect and installed a cushioned clamp around the tube and attached it to the right gascolator bolt.
I attached the overflow bottle to the firewall by putting a smear of gray RTV on the ribs behind the bottle.  I attached the overflow bottle with the clamp painted last Friday.
Unfortunately I am unable to find the hose material to make the overflow bottle hose.  It connects the overflow bottle to the expansion tank.  I called Van's and was told they supplied a 42" piece of the hose with the engine kit.  I must have misplaced it somewhere.  I ordered a new piece of hose.  It is being sent by priority mail.  I will continue to work on the things I can while waiting for the hose to arrive.