Monday, October 1, 2012

Wheel Pants and Fairings

After repairing the epoxy/glass bead mixture and attachment of the wheel pants to the mounting brackets I continued with the final installation and completion of the pants.  I started with the left wheel pants.  I clecoed the #40 holes around the splice of the fore and aft halves of the pants.  I drilled #27 holes in the 3-locations called out on the drawings.  I removed the pants and installed nutplates on the after half at the 3-previously drill locations.  To work on the pants I set up 2-tables in the garage.
Using the rose cutter I recessed the #40 nutplate holes for the flush rivets.  I used my microstop to countersink the holes in the forward half for the #6 mounting screws.  I reassembled the pants and  drilled the remaining 6-holes.  Following the same procedure I installed nutplates at these holes and countersunk the corresponding holes in the forward half.  I then reinstalled the left wheel pant on the left main gear.  Next I installed the PVC fairing I purchased at the base of the gear leg where it enters the wheel pants.  I drilled holes and installed nutplates on the pants.  The fairing will be held in place with 3-#6 pan head screws.
I then repeated the process to install the right main gear pants and fairing.  I disassembled both fairings and pants and put them away for now.  Next I will begin to install the nose wheel pants and gear leg fairing.  I have decided to install the main gear leg fairings at the fuselage with pulled rivets after the certification inspection