Friday, October 12, 2012

Nose Gear Leg Fairing

I started working on the nose gear leg fairing.  I started by cleaning up the excess resin material at the bottom inside edge of the fairing at the joint.  There was no way to make the hinge assemble lay flat in this 'V' because of the excess blobs of resin.  I used the Vixon file and  a sanding block to remove the excess material and made the inside surface flat so the hinge can be installed.
I used the angle grinder with a flat sanding disk and the sanding drum to remove the fiberglass to the scribe lines at the top and lower end of the fairing.  I slipped the fairing over the nose gear leg and clamped it in place.  Using ¾" nuts attached to a piece of string I installed a plumb line and checked to be sure the fairing was lined up properly.  I also drilled the lower flange on the fairing and installed 3-clecos to hold things in place.  I put a strip of masking tape on each side of the fairing and using a framing square I marked the tangent location on each piece of masking tape.  I measured and marked the screw location on each piece of tape then drilled a #30 hole through the fiberglass fairing into the gear leg.  I used an 8/32 tap to tap the holes in the gear leg.  I put a piece of tape around the gear leg covering the drilled and threaded holes.  I rein stalled the fairing over the gear leg.  I mixed some epoxy resin with some glass beads and put eh mixture into a large syringe.  I injected the epoxy mixture through the holes in the fairing to form a puddle of epoxy on the tape on each side of the gear leg.  I then installed wax coated screws to hold the fairing in place while the epoxy sets. 
I then prepped a hinge section for installation inside of the fairing.  I marked each half of the hinge assembly for drilling.  I also fabricated a hinge pin with a 1" section of hinge with a nut plate installed.  I finish the fairing fabrication tomorrow, after the epoxy has completely set.