Monday, October 8, 2012

Nose Wheel Doublers

This afternoon I installed the doublers on the wheel mounting brackets.  This is because of a Service Bulletin issued by Vans.  Inspections of flying RV-12's has shown cracking of the nose wheel mounting brackets.  This is to correct and prevent that problem.  I installed the aft half of the nose wheel pants and marked the location of the mounting brackets on the rill template.  I removed the aft portion of the pants then clamped and drilled the brackets.
Next I went into the shop and deburred the holes and deburred the edges of the doubler plates.  I attached the doublers to the mounting brackets and drilled all of the #40 rivet holes.  I deburred the holes and then dimpled the interior holes along the edge of the brackets.  I also countersunk the corresponding holes in the doubler plates.  Next I riveted the doublers to the brackets using the rivets provided with the kit.  
I then temporarily put the forward half of the pants on the nose wheel to see how it fits.  It looks good.  I will remove the wheel and install the tow-bar bolts and washers and install the nutplates.