Monday, October 15, 2012

Aircraft Assembly

This afternoon I stopped at the Sutton's in Eagle Mountain and picked up my grandsons, Cameron and Kaleb.  They agreed to help me assemble the airplane this afternoon.  We started by installing the wheel pants on all three wheels.
Next we installed the upper fuselage cover over the instrument shelf.  After installing the upper cover we installed the rear window and the turtle deck skins.  These are just clecoed in at this point.  I will permanently install them very soon.

At this point we moved the airplane onto the driveway and began to install the canopy.  We had the canopy in place and lowered it down.  Then just to make sure everything was OK I raised the canopy.  It was actually to get the camera from inside the cockpit and take a photo.  On lifting the canopy, the support arm on the right side hung-up on the edge of the upper fuselage skin.  Lifting the canopy all of the way up bent the edge of the skin up.  We removed the canopy from the airframe and removed the screws holding the skin in place.  With my duck-bill pliers I was able to straighten out the bent edge.  I put a little extra crease along the edge of the skin so when it is installed it will be tighter to the fuselage.  We reinstalled the screws and using a file I smoothed the edge of the skin.  After reinstalling the canopy we confirmed that it goes up and down without any interference.
Our next step was to install the wings.  We installed the left wing and then the right wing.  I will need to pull the wings into place when I install them the final time.  Right now it is difficult to install the spar pins without a huge amount of effort.  
Grandma came out to check our progress.
Next we installed the empennage.  We didn't  hook up the control cables, but I know they work.
Grandma came out again and the boys encouraged her to take a turn sitting in the cockpit.  She was laughing and smiling the whole time so I guess she liked it.  I am going to go up to MATCO Mfg in Bountiful and purchase their parking brake valve.  I am planning to install it in the tunnel where the brake lines pass on their way to the center section.  I will buy the valve from MATCO and a actuator cable from McFarlane.  They make one labeled 'PARK BRAKE.'  Of course the park brake will be installed after certification.