Friday, October 12, 2012

Nose Gear Leg Fairing

This afternoon I worked on the nose gear leg fairing.  The epoxy is set under the screws.  I removed the leg fairing and clamped the piano hinge assembly inside with large 'C' clamps. 
Then I started drilling from one end of the hinge and drilled and clecoed each hole on one side of the fairing.  The drilling and clecoing went fairly well.  My drill battery ran down so I installed another battery and continued to drill and cleco while I charged spent battery.  I finished drilling the first side and turned the assembly over and drilled and clecoed the other side.  I removed the clecoes and using my microsink, prepped the holes in the leg fairing for riveting the hinge in place.
I took the fairing into the shop where I had clamped my rivet squeezer in the bench vise.  One by one I inserted and squeezed the rivets attaching the hinge assembly to the leg fairing.  I also located the attachment point for the hinge clamp and drilled a hole for the screw.  
I reinstalled the fairing on the gear leg using the hinge pin and screws to hold it in place.
I reinstalled the wheel pants to make sure the gear leg fairing and the wheel pants had the correct amount of clearance.  I ended up trimming the lower flange of the leg fairing to allow the proper clearance at the top of the wheel pants.  There has been considerable discussion and issuance of SB's concerning the attachment of the main gear legs to the center channel.  It appears I will be working on these attachment points in the very near future.  A statement from Van's dated 10-12-12 leads me to believe I will be removing the gear to make some structural modifications.  It also looks like I will be installing some fuselage skin doublers at the wing roots.  Someone said, once a builder always a builder.  I guess that is true.