Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Nose Wheel Pants Continue

This afternoon I stopped at Home Depot and purchased some #8/32 screws and nuts.  I set up my work area in the garage and started to work on the nose wheel pants again.  I used my angle drill to match drill the screw attachment hole in the aft half of the pants.  As I match drilled a hole from inside of the pants I installed a #8 screw and nut to hold it in place.  Working hole by hole and screw by screw I was able to complete the task.  I then mixed some epoxy and glass beads to spread between the splice plates and the inside edge of the forward half of the pants.  Per the instructions I put masking tape on the exposed part of the splice plates.  I removed the splice plates and roughed up the exposed edge of the splice plates and the contact area inside of the forward section of the pants.

I spread a thin layer of the epoxy mixture on the splice plates and then clecoed and riveted them to the forward pants.  I then clecoed the support brackets to the splice plates to confirm they fit properly.
Next I riveted them in place along with the required nut plates.  I also attached the drill template to the support brackets.