Monday, July 4, 2011

Attach and Wings Drill Torque Tubes


Today we made a little progreee.  Tim and I moved the fuselage onto the driveway and attached the wings. 
 
Before attaching the wings we turned the wings around on the wing stand so the bottom of each wing was outboard on the stand.  We needed to replace the dowels in the flaperon connections with bolts.
I inserted the bolts through the hinge points and bearings and Tim used the wrenches to tighten them.
Together we made fairly quick work of the bolts and hinges.  I am missing one AN3-10A bolt so I ordered one from Van's.  When it arrives I will install it.

 
 
Next we inserted the right wing.

The flaperon actuator and torque tube did fit together as they should.  I used a round file to deburr the end of the torque tube and we tried again.  This time we had success.  We used a 5-gallon bucket and some moving pads to support the end of the wing so the fuselage was level.  

 
After the wings were installed we installed the spar pins.  The right wing was about 1/8" short of lining up so I could install the spar pins.  The pins went thru the bushings on the left wing without any interference, however, I could not get the right wing to go in any further so we could not get the spar pins thru the right wing bushings. 
 
I resorted to using a binding strap to pull the right wing in the last 1/8" to line the bushings up correctly.  I was finally able to insert the spar pins in all of the way.
 
After getting the wings seated and the spar pins inserted I drilled the 4-holes in the flaperon torque tubes.  That was the whole purpose of installing the wings today.
After drilling the holes we installed the seats.  Tim and I climbed in and made airplane noises.  Tim thinks I should install some rockets on the wings so we could go duck hunting.  Spoken like a true teenager.