Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Flaperon Controls and Rudder Cables

 
After work I started working on the flaperon torque arms and torque tubes.  I final drilled the right flaperon torque tube-torque arm assembly.  After drilling and deburring I inserted the parts back into the fuselage.  I bolted the torque arm to the bearing and then bolted the torque tube and torque arm together.
 
I bolted the torque arm to the right flaperon push rod and the right side was complete.  It took a lot of effort to get the washers in place as well as the nuts.  My hands are way too big to be stuffing them into such small, tight places.  Next I finished removing the left side torque arm and then final drilled and deburred the torque arm/torque tube assembly.  Piece by piece I reinstalled the left side flaperon components.  What a chore.

 
After installing the flaperon assemblies I installed the missing bolt in the center hinge of he left wing-flaperon attachment.  Next I turned my attention to the rudder cable installation.  I separated the rudder control links with the Dremel tool.

 
After that I started to prep and install the rudder cables.  First I safety wired the plastic tubes to the forked end of the cables.  I run the spade end of the right cable through the bulkheads and into the front section of the tunnel.  It is not going to be easy to connect the end of this cable to the arm on the rudder pedals, but I will do what it takes.

 
I ran the cable through the rudder cable snap bushings in the right side of the fuselage.  Using the strings installed in the tailcone to pull the cables through I pulled the right rudder cable through the rear bulkhead.  I safety wired a piece of heavy rod through the end of the cable so it could not pull through the hole in the bulk head.
 
I routed the forward end of the cable to the front of the forward tunnel and then began to install the plastic raceway to the side of the seat rib with cushioned clamps.  What a project.  Next I will start working on the left rudder cable.