Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rudder Pedal Closeout & Anti-Abrasion Strip

 
This evening I installed the rudder closeout pieces.  It was a real pain to get into the fuselage to install these parts at the top of the tunnel.  They attach to the tunnel walls with 2-#8 screws and nuts.  Then, there is a #8 screw that goes into a nutplate on the edge of the engine compartment shelf.  I attempted to get to the space by standing on a step ladder.  I finally turned the fuselage on its side so I could reach in and put in the parts and fasteners.  I am beginning to become pretty proficient at turning the fuselage on its side.  I just need to make sure it is on the right side and that the flaperon control is not over the work table.  The OAT probe is on the left side and would be damaged if I were to roll the fuselage on its left side.


After installing the rudder closeouts I decided to put the anti-abrasion strip on the mid-fuselage brace.  I marked one end at 5/16" and put a line ¾" from the aft edge of the brace.  Then after removing the paper from the adhesive side of the strip I very carefully lined it up with the pencil line and smoothed it out on the mid-fuselage brace.  I worked out well and looks great.  This strip is to prevent the seat backs from damaging the finish on the mid-fuselage brace.
 
I rolled the fuselage upright and I am now ready for the next step.