Friday, July 15, 2011

Rudder Pedal Stop

This afternoon I fabricated the rudder pedal stop.  The stop is made from some of the shipping crate materials.  I used my table saw to cut out the sides and middle spacer then screwed and glued the pieces together.  It is a pretty simple device, but it effectively locks the rudder pedals in place so the cables can be attached to the rudder horns and the correct length established.
 
I also attached the rudder cable attachment plates to the fork end of the rudder cables.  To do so I removed the rods I had safety wired to the cables.  I attached the connection plates and then attached a piece of safety wire to each cable and looped it thru a screw hole in the tailcone so the cables cannot be pulled back thru the openings in the rear bulkhead.  I then set the rudder stop block in place in the cockpit.  I am ready to attach the vertical stabilizer and rudder and prepare the attachment plates for final assembly of the rudder controls.