Monday, July 18, 2011

Stabilator Cables

 
 
This evening I stared the installation of the stabilator cables.  Once again, these are interesting cables to install.  They consist of 2-lengths of cables which are connected below the fuel tank area floor.  I started by installing the aluminum bushing between the stabilator pulley brackets as shown on the drawings.  Next I cut the hook off of a shirt hanger and straightening it out.  I bent a small loop on each end.  I tied a string to one  end and pushed it from the tailcone area through the bulkheads.  By holding and twisting the hanger just right I was able to get it to go through the correct holes in the bulkheads.  I attached one of the short stabilator cables to the end of the hanger and pulled it to the area below the fuel tank.  I attached the spade end of the cable to the appropriate attachment point on the control column.  I then followed the same procedure to pull the second short cable into place.  I have no idea why I was successful at getting the cables through the right holes in the bulkheads.  I confirmed they are in the right place by using a small inspection mirror to look under the floor panel.  I will be able to better confirm their location when I put the fuselage on sawhorses so I can get underneath and look through the inspection holes in the bottom of the airplane.
 
I next attempted to install the pulleys for the stabilator cables in the pulley bracket.  Unfortunately, the AN4 bolt will not go through the holes in the bracket.  I will need to use a 90o angle drill attachment with a stubby bit to final drill the ¼" holes in the bracket before I can install the pulleys.
I ended the evening by marking center lines on the rudder cable attachment plates.  I will install the rudder on Saturday, then clamp, mark and drill the attachment plates.