Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Headset Wiring and Control Sticks

 
This evening I installed the headset wiring for the pilot and co-pilot locations.  I installed the auxiliary audio jack and the 2-headset jacks on the co-pilot side.  I installed the headset jacks on the pilot side.  I pulled the wires through the seat rib bushings to the center wiring tunnel.  I did not like the length of the ground wires from the PPT switches. I added some additional wire to each ground leg and crimped on ring connectors.
 
The next step is to temporarily install the control sticks.  After reviewing various entries in the RV-12 Forum on VansAirForce I decided to jump ahead to the next section on the control sticks.  Step 4 in section 32 says to grind down the ends of the connection tube on the control sticks so that the bushing through the tube protrudes beyond the end of the tube.  That way the control sticks will not bind when attached to the control column.  If you wait until the next section the wiring for the PTT's will already be installed and it will be next to impossible to grind down the ends of the tubes.  I used the bench grinder and Scotch Brite wheel to grind the ends of the tubes to the proper length.  Now the tube installation will be permanent and I will not have to grind or file the ends down at a future time.  I Installed the control sticks into the control column and inserted the bolts.
 
 
I ran the PTT and headset harness wires through the snap bushings, cushioned clamp and up through the instrument shelf bushings.  I have a whole bunch of wires on the instrument shelf and in the tunnel.  I even have a wire coming through the firewall.