Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Relocated Nutplates Installed Floor Supports

Today I completed the repair project I started yesterday.  I drilled out the rivets holding the nut plates.  I used a #30 drill bit to drill out the heads of the rivets.  I then used a #40 drill bit in the drill press to drill the body of the rivet out of the holes in the ears of the nutplates.  It was a fairly simple process.  I was able to remove the nutplates without damaging or enlarging the holes in the ribs or the nutplates.  Next I drilled the #19 holes where the nutplates will be attached to the correct ribs.  Next I clecoed the nutplates to the ribs and proceeded to install the rivets.  It was good to get that little correction made.
I also riveted the nutplates to the edge of the floor skins.  There are a buzillion nutplates to be installed in this section.
I then riveted the floor skins to the floor ribs, using the LP4-3 and CS4-3 rivets called out in the instructions.
I used the 1/8" back-up washers on the ribs where I removed the nutplates.  The fastener holes at each nutplate was previously drilled to #19 so it was too large for a LP4-3 rivet to work properly.  With the back-up washers they worked fine.
I clecoed the floor/rib sections to the fuselage center section.  I riveted them in place. It was pretty tight quarters riveting the ribs to the center bulkhead.