Monday, February 6, 2012

Paint and Redo Canopy Guide Blocks

 
I picked up the black screws I ordered from Fastenal.  I think they are going to look good against the carbon fiber vinyl wrap on the instrument panel.  I also decided to replace the phenolic canopy guide blocks.  I want to replace the blocks because when I installed them I cut out the lower corners of the blocks to clear the last screw and nut on each side of the canopy.  I think it really looks bad and I noticed on the RV-12 at the Copper State Fly-In last fall that the canopy blocks had not been modified.  The builder replaced the last nut and screw with a rivet.  I am going to do the same.  I cut a ¾" wide strip of the phenolic material with the table saw at work.  
 
  I removed the old blocks and used them as templates to make the new blocks.  I cut them out, radiused the edges with my router, drilled the holes and installed them on the roll bar.  They fit and look a whole lot better in my opinion.
 
 
I then proceeded to paint the POH tray and touch up the inside of the turtle deck skins.  I also masked and painted the forward end of the fuel tank.  Because of the tank modification the forward end was a bit scuffed up and I want it to look good.  I also painted one of the new clip angles installed on the mounting plate.  I think it looks a lot better.

 
This afternoon I covered the Map Holder with some of the carbon fiber vinyl wrap I purchased for the instrument panel.  I think it turned out really great.  I am anxious to put the carbon fiber vinyl on the instrument panel.  I will have to wait until I order the Avionics Kit.  The new panels should be included in the new kit.