Saturday, February 18, 2012

Torque Seal and Carbon Fiber Wrap

 
Today I decided to put torque seal on the fasteners in the fuselage tunnel and lower area.  I put torque seal on the heads of the fasteners where ever possible.  This  is based on a Builder's Hints video I watched on the EAA Website.
 
I also reattached the spade connectors on the AP servos.  I bundled the connectors and put wire cable ties around the servos to hold the connectors in place.  I put a wire tire around the ties holding the connectors to make sure they do not slip off of the servos.  This should hold things together.
 
With the fuselage on its side it is a lot easier to work inside.  I removed the spar pins to repaint them.  I removed the latches and springs and taped and masked them. I recoated the spar pins with black hammertone spray paint.
I turned my attention to the right side instrument panel and map box door.  I want to cover the instrument panel sections with carbon fiber vinyl wrap.  I removed the map box and right instrument panel section from the fuselage.  I removed the camlock from the map box door.
 
I sanded the right panel section and the map box door.  I also decided to repaint the map box door hinge with black hammertone spray paint.  I masked the hinge section and sprayed the hinge at the same time I recoated the spar pins.
 
After the paint dried I took the right panel section inside and applied carbon fiber vinyl wrap to the panel and the map box door.  Using my X-acto knife I cut out the holes for the intercom and ELT switch and mounting holes.  I also reinstalled the camlock on the map box door.