Monday, February 27, 2012

Start Masking Fuselage Canopy Area

This evening I spent some time doing some housekeeping.  I used my small vacuum to vacuum out the corners and recesses of the fuselage.  With the fuselage turned on its side there was a lot of small debris on the ribs, formers, crevices and recesses.  I vacuumed and wiped out the areas the best I could.  Next reinstalled the right section of the instrument panel and map box.  I used the screws provided with the kit to attach the panel to the upper fuselage skin and instrument shelf.  I also attached the other panels (center section and left section) to the instrument shelf and upper fuselage skin. 
After attaching the instrument panels I turned the fuselage right side up.  I re-centered it on the work table and adjusted the pads on top of the table.  I am sure when it is time to install the lines, wiring and ADAHRS module in the tailcone it will be necessary to roll the fuselage back onto its side.  When I do I think I will put it on my steel saw horses.  That will make it easier to get into the tailcone and it will make it easier to roll over.  I won't have to worry about the clecoes and the flaperon torque tubes hitting the top of the table.
 
I put blue tape on the canopy attachment coves on each side of the fuselage.  I also put some tape over the top of the instrument panel where it attaches to the upper fuselage skin.

I used some builder paper to cover the instrument panel and the forward section of the cockpit area so when I start to install the fiberglass skirt on the front of the canopy I will not drip any resin on the panel or in the cockpit.  I plan to put some masking paper on the sides of the fuselage, below the canopy before I start doing any fiberglass work.  The next step will be to install the duct tape on the sides of the fuselage and over the top of the upper fuselage skin.