Saturday, February 11, 2012

Miscellaneous Redos and Fixes

 
It is Saturday, the Draper Temple is closed and I have the day to do some work on the RV-12.  After attending the World Wide Training this morning and running some errands with Arlene I spent a good part of the afternoon working in the garage and shop.  The temperature is 59 degrees.  I started by touching up the paint on the fuel tank.  After making the tank modification and repainting the forward end of the tank last week I discovered the Pro-Seal around the sender support ring and the under the screw heads holding the support ring in place did not cover as well as it should have.  I used a small artist's brush and touched up the paint around the ring and on the screw heads.  I took the picture right after doing the touch-up.  Later in the day the paint color matched exactly.  I also used some black RTV sealant and sealed the joint between the fuselage sides and bottom and the firewall.  I then turned my attention to the plumbing and wiring in the tailcone.  Because the Skyview is being installed there needs to be some changes in the Static Air and Pitot Air tubing.  Currently the 1/8" tubing for the Static Air is connected to a ¼" tube which runs through the fuselage to the instrument shelf.  Now an ADAHRS will be installed in the tailcone so the Static Air will not run forward but will be connected to the ADAHRS just in front of fuselage frame F-1208.  I cut all of the wire ties from the rear of the fuselage mid-section back to and along frame F-1208.  I loosely installed new wire ties so I can run new tubing and new wiring through the ties for the Skyview.  I removed the 'T' and the left side Static Air tube.  I cut the 1/8" Static Air tube at the center of frame F-1208 and installed the 'T'.  I ran a new piece of 1/8" tube from the 'T' to the left Static Port.  I then connected a piece of ¼" tube to the 'T'.  I will need to cut the ¼" tube to length and install the connection fitting on the end.  I will do that when I receive the Avionics Kit from Vans.
 
While working in the tailcone I decided to run the 1/16" tubing for the AOA.  This was a bit of a challenge.  I ended up cutting the bottom section out of a coat hanger.  By inserting the end of the piece of hanger wire into the 1/16" tubing I was able to thread the wire and pull the tubing through the snap bushings in the fuselage frames and feed it forward to the area under the control column.  I then used the same technique to tread the tubing to the left side of the fuselage.  I removed the current wing wiring connection (which will be replaced with the Avionic Kit) and pulled the tubing to that area.  I put the ADAHRS fitting on the tubing in the tailcone.  I will put the appropriate connection on the other end of the tubing when I make the wing wiring connection change.
Next I turned my attention to the canopy and upper fuselage skin.  The corner of the upper fuselage skin was bent upwards one day while fitting the canopy.  I removed the instrument panel and removed the screws holding the skin in place.  I was able to straighten the skin as evidenced by the photo.  This corner will be covered by the fiberglass canopy shroud but I still want it to look good.
 
 I then prepped the canopy support arms for paint.  After installing the canopy a few months ago, and lifting it into the open position, I realized the support arms will be seen from inside when the canopy is raised.  I decided because the front canopy bow is painted with black hammertone paint, and the instrument panel will be black carbon fiber warp, it would be good if the support arms were painted to match the front canopy bow. I proceeded to mask of the canopy areas so I could paint the support arms.   After masking everything I discovered my can of Rustoleum black hammertone would not spray.  I removed and cleaned the nozzle with MEK but still it will not spray.  The clog appears to be in the stem on top of the can.  I can't poke anything down the stem or it will release the paint.  I went to Home Depot and bought another can of paint.  This is the 3rd can of black hammertone I have purchased for this project.  Now I have 3-partially used cans of black hammertone spray paint.  I was able to recoat the support arms after these photos were taken to eliminate the gray primer speckles.