Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Continued Wiring and Other Things

I completed a couple of things I have neglected to get done.  One was to install the brass fittings on the poly brake lines.  These are the lines installed through the fuselage tunnel from the firewall back to the center section channel where the landing gear is to be bolted in place.  To do so I brought a pan of boiling water to the garage to immerse the ends of the tubing in.  That is necessary so that the insert can be pushed into the ends of the tubes.  It all worked well.  I only spilled a little bit of water. 
I also checked the continuity of one of the connections I made last night on the red wire for the fuel flow transducer.  I pulled the spade terminals on the red wire apart and checked to make sure the male connector was making connection to the wire.  It is.
I ran the stall warning wire through the seat ribs to the left side of the fuselage.  I installed a female spade connector to the wire and attached it to the terminal block.  Of course to do so I had to roll the fuselage upright and remove the terminal block.  While it was off I installed the ES NOISE FILTER PUMP.  I received this filter with the lighting option.  It required a ground wire attachment and one leg of the filter connected to the terminal block.  After installing the filter and the terminal block I rolled the fuselage back on its side and proceeded to work on the wiring.  I pulled the harness through the snap bushings through the tunnel and through the rear bulkhead.
 
I used an inspection mirror to check the ground wire connection to be certain it all fit together OK. I pulled the GPS and fuel level wires up through the snap bushing in the center section channel, into the wiring conduit and out the right end. 
I installed a ring connection to the fuel take wire and taped both to the floor of the baggage area.  I installed a cushioned clamp to the fuel pump.  The clamp goes around the wiring harness.  I installed the black ground wire from the fuel pump with the bolt for the pump and clamp.  I then put spade connectors on the red wire from the harness and he red wire from the fuel pump and connected them together.
 
The next step was to start working on the reed switch installation for the detection of the spar pins.  I installed the tiny snap bushings in the bulkhead sides which was quite a difficult chore.  I then cut one wire on one reed switch to 4 ½" and clamped on a ring connector.  I ran the wires for the switches through the bushings.  I inserted the switches into cushioned clamps and attached the clamps to the arm rest rail.  Using the multi-meter to check continuity I learned that neither side worked.  Using a small strong magnet from my tool box I checked to see if the reed switches were any good. They are both good.  I started trying to get the left side switch to work.  After considerable adjusting, shortening of the spar pin tube, drilling and filing of the hole in the arm rest rail along with a good amount of head scratching, I finally got the switch to work properly.   
In all of the grinding and reaming on the spar pin tube the hammer tone paint was damaged.  I have decided to repaint the spar pins and tubes the beige color to match the interior paint.  I hope when I work on the right side switch and pin things go a little better.