Monday, April 28, 2014

Transition Training and Paint Photos

On Sunday, April 27th, I flew to Dallas, TX.  I previously made arrangements to get some transition training from John Albury.  John built an RV-12 a couple of years ago and offers transition training to new RV-12 owners.  John is well qualified and has been given authorization to do transition training from the FAA.  He is an American Airlines 737 Captain.  He has been flying for American for 28 years and also holds a CFII.  I met John at his hangar at 9:00 am on Monday the 28th at Propwash, an airport community west of Justin, TX.  We spent the first 2 ½ hours getting to know each other and going over the ground school presentation on the RV-12.  It was very informative and a great preparation for flying the airplane.  As part of the prep we did the pre-flight, fueled the airplane and proceeded to go flying.  We fired up the airplane and took off at 11:30 am.  We flew up to Gainesville, about 35 miles north of Propwash.  Along the way John had me do normal turns, steep turns and some power on and power off stalls.  The wind was blowing at 15 knots and when we got to Gainesville I had to contend with a cross wind.  John talked me through the landings and all went well.  We stopped for lunch about 1:00 pm and took the courtesy car to a local restaurant.  We returned to the airport did some more take offs and landings before heading back to Propwash.  All in all I flew 2.4 hours the first day. 
That evening Dave Wissinger sent me some photos of the airplane.  The white paint had been applied and he was laying out the red.   My impression is it is going to look great!