Monday, April 21, 2014

Getting Ready For Paint

I am back from a 2-week hiatus.  Arlene and I took a trip to Pennsylvania to visit Wade, Sarah and the kids.  It was a lot of fun.  On Wednesday, April 9th we flew to Buffalo, NY where Wade met us and drove us to their home in Erie.  We worked on a few projects for a couple of days and then on Saturday we left to drive to Washington, DC.  We were the until Thursday the 17th when we drove back to Erie.  We flew home on the 18th.  Today I went to the hangar and worked on a few simple things while waiting to meet with Dave Wissinger.  I installed the fuel pump fuse and checked the cooling fans on the instrument shelf.  They work.  
I sanded the inside edge of the canopy fiberglass.  It will make it look better when it is painted and will give me a smoother surface to install the canopy seals.  I also removed the masking installed when I touched up the inside of the canopy and I think it looks pretty good.  Hopefully I will be  the only one who will see it because I know it is there.
I met with Dave and he is going to start painting the airplane this week.  I decided to go ahead with the paint while waiting for the FAA to issue my registration papers.  I removed the struts on the canopy and put some masking tape along the edge of the area I want the painter to paint.  I have decided I want the inside front portion of the canopy to match the paint on the upper fuselage skin.  I think it will look better that way when the canopy is open.
I meet with Dave Wissinger at noon.  I gave him a check for 50% down on the paint.  I also selected a deep red color for the upper fuselage and wing tips.  I decided against a maroon, which turned out to be too purple for my taste.  I will get a sample of the color to take to Sign*A*Rama so they can prepare some new N numbers in the right color.  I then started to disassemble the airplane.  Dave is going to pick-up the pieces in his van truck and transport them to the shop then return them and pick-up a new batch.  He asked me to remove the empennage and disassemble the pieces.  Also, remove the flaperons from the wings, remove the canopy (which is already off) and the engine cowl and spinner.  The poor airplane looks pretty forlorn in its new condition.
I also decided it would be good to mark the flaperons where they need to be trimmed to clear the fuselage.  Right now when fully deflected in the up position the skin scrapes on the head of a rivet.  This occurs on both sides.  I used  a straight edge and a marker to mark both the right and left flaperon so I can trim the ends after I remove them from the wings.
I continued to remove parts and pieces and stack them on the work table, stand and on the floor.  Tomorrow afternoon  Tim and I will go to the hangar and remove the wings and take the flaperons off so I can trim them.