Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Continuing Getting Ready For Paint

Today Tim and I went to the hangar to remove the wings.  The wind was howling today.  South winds in excess of 20 mph with gusts in excess of 30 mph.  We rolled the airplane out of the hangar just so the main gear was outside on the apron.  The tailcone was still inside.  We put the wing rack just inside the door and removed the left wing and put it on the rack.  Then the right wing.  All went well and we were able to get the wings off without any incident.  We rolled the airplane back into the hangar and removed the flaperons from the wings.
We removed the flaperons and put them on a work table. 
We also stacked all of the parts of the airplane on moving pads.  We left the hangar so Tim could go back home and get ready for work this afternoon.  I dropped Tim off at work and returned to the hangar to meet Dave Wissinger.  I met with Dave and we went over the color scheme.  He made several notes and marked the wings, stabilator, flaperons and many of the small parts with tape to indicate how it is to be painted.  The paint scheme is going to be somewhat retro.  It is patterned after my Dad's 1960's Piper Comanche.  It is straight lines and angles, very unlike the sweeping curves and swooping lines of today's aircraft paint schemes.  That suits me just fine.  I need to do a few more things to get everything ready for paint.  I need to assemble the wheel pants so the color stripes can be laid out on them correctly.  When they get ready to layout the Piper color scheme on the fuselage Dave will give me a call to have me look it over to make sure it is the way I want it.  Dave said he would start picking up portions of the airplane on Thursday and take them to his shop for painting.  His son works with him and they think they can have the painting completed in a couple of weeks.  Since I have not heard anything from the FAA Title Company on the status of my registration I decided to move ahead with the paint.  Dave is going to prepare a color coupon with the red paint so I can have Sign*A*Rama do the new N numbers.