Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tire Pressure and Update SkyView

This morning I started by adding air to the 3-tires.  I noticed they looked low on Saturday.  I checked the pressure in each tire and it was down 10-12 lbs per tire.  I got out the air chuck and brought the pressure up to 25 psi in each tire.  I then decided to update the SkyView software.  I attached the battery charger to the battery and then got inside the cockpit.  I previously downloaded the update files on the Dynon flash drive that came with the system.  The instructions say do not load the files into a subdirectoy.  The SkyView system cannot read them in a subdirectory.  The files must be in the "root" directory.  I turned on SkyView and attempted to load the files.  I got an error message saying there are no files found.  Of course, when I downloaded the files from the Dynon website I saved them in a subdirectory.  Luckily I have a computer at the hangar so I was able to transfer the downloaded files from the subdirectory to the "root" directory.  I restarted the system, inserted the flash drive and proceeded to the update screen.  Voila, there they were.  I proceeded with the upload and updating of the SkyView system.
Because this is the first time I have updated the system and the current version is older than the 4.0 update, I had to load all of the update files manually.  First I loaded the 7.1 SkyView update.  Then I proceeded to upload all of the additional files.  It wall went really well.  It took a while, but the update was successful.  
I was even able to update the Transponder.  I have printed the new label that must be installed on the transponder unit.  I will put the label on when I take the upper fuselage skin off to be painted.  I took some pictures of the screen as the updates were being copied and installed.
After loading all of the updates I calibrated and tested the AP servos.  Those processes went well and the SkyView recognizes them and they passed the test.  I took some additional photos of the SkyView screen after the down loading and updating and then discovered through the process I lost the Spar Pin status indication on the EMS screen.  I looked in the installation guide to see if it tells how to set up that widget.  No luck.  
I took a photo of the screen as it looks.  That is how I discovered the spar pin icon was gone.  I looked through the build manual at all of the SkyView drawings and instructions but could not find anything about setting up the spar pin icon.  I decided to go home and do some searching in Vans AirForce to see if there was anything posted there.  I was not able to find anything.  I then did a web search by typing in SkyView Spar Pin Set-up.  I was taken to a Dynon Forum that had the answer.  They had an attachment which was to restore the Vans RV-12 EMS settings.  I downloaded the file and went back out to the airport.  I downloaded the file into the Skyview and there it was. 
A single fuel tank and a spar pin widget and a stall warning Widget and the CHT and EGT scales.  Thank heaven.   So far so good.