Tuesday, April 8, 2014

SkyView Battery and Canopy

Yesterday while Tom Driscoll was at the hangar he noticed that when I turn of the master switch the SkyView shuts down immediately.  Tom told me it should stay on for 30 seconds on backup battery power.  I checked the SkyView install manual and it says if the battery icon has a red X through it there is a fault.  I checked the screen today and sure enough there is a red X over the battery icon.  I went into the hardware setup and turned set the BATTERY CONNECTED to yes.  I also called Dynon Tech Support to inform them of what is happening.  I was told the battery is probably not charged and that it will charge when the aircraft is flying.  He said it will take about 3-hours to fully charge the backup battery.  The tech told me to call back if the condition continues to exist after flying the airplane for 3-hours of flying.  Part of the process to check the backup battery was to remove the upper fuselage skin.  I removed the screws on the top of the instrument panel and then removed the screws holding the upper skin in place. 
To remove all of the screws I had to remove the canopy.  I took it off of the airplane and put it on a work table.  Because there is a drip and run of epoxy on the roll bar part of the canopy I decided to sand it off and repaint the spot. 
I put tape around the drip and proceeded to sand it away.  I will return to the hangar this afternoon and apply a coat of spray paint on the sanded spot.  It won't be perfect but it will look better.
This afternoon I returned to the hangar and masked the sanded area on the rear canopy roll bar.  I also masked off some sections of the canopy I want to be tan.  I used some spray paint to coat these areas.  
The paint will be dry and hopefully cured to match by the time we are back from Erie, PA on the 18th of April.