Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Wing Repairs

Today I took the camera to the hangar to photograph the damage done yesterday when the right wing was blown off of the wing rack by a wind gust.  The wing tip was tweaked  and some of the skin under the wing at the end were bent.  The bottom edge of the rear spar was bent.  The root end of the wing also suffered some damage.  The bottom of the rear spar was bent and the skin had some wrinkles in it. 
The root end of the flaperon skin was bent and there was a kink in the trailing edge about 1' from the end.  The flaperon also seemed to have a bit of a bind when it was moved from side to side.  I took some photos of the damage.
I started  to work on the root end of the wing.  I removed the flaperon.  As I removed the bolt at the root end of the wing it was really had to get the bolt to come out.  After removing it I realized why the flaperon seemed to be binding.  It was.  The holes in the bracket and the bearing were off by almost ½" from lining up.  There was also a bit of a crease in the trailing edge of the flaperon. 
I drilled out the rivets in the wing skin from the end of the wing back three ribs, and from the mid wing spar to the rear spar.  I pulled the skin back and found the end of the root wing rib had been bent.  I purchased some auto body tools at Harbor Freight and set to work to straighten the bent section of rib.  It worked perfectly.  I made a little reinforcement piece to rivet into the corner of the rib and rear spar.  I also straightened out the edge of the rear spar which was slightly bent.  I used the hammer and dolly to flatten the wing skin.  After straitening all of the bent pieces I clecoed the wing back together.  I retrieved the flaperon and put the bolts through the brackets and bearings.  It all fits now, just like it did when it was new.  
Satisfied with the repair I riveted the root end of the wing back together.
I then began working on the wing tip.  I drilled out the rivets on the skin area next to the flaperon.  Also the narrow piece of wing skin on the bottom of the wing next to the tip.  I also drilled out the rivets on the concave bottom skin on the wing tip.  I drilled the rivets from the trailing edge to just
about mid-span on the wing.  It became obvious the edge of the rear spar was deformed which cause some wrinkling and bending in the various pieces of wing skin at the tip.  The pictures tell the tale.
After removing the rivets and looking inside, the damage was not as bad as it looked.  I was able to bend the end of the rear spar back into line and then using the body shop tools I straightened out the various bent, tweaked and wrinkled pieces of skin.  After that I was able to clecoe the wing tip back together and install new rivets.
After riveting the wing tip back together I decided to put some body filler over the wrinkles I was unable to remove.  I also put some body filler on the top of the wing again.
The Flaperon was next to be repaired.  I straightened the skin at the bottom root of the flaperon.  I then began working on the kink in the trailing edge.  With my duck bill pliers and the auto body hammer I was able to get the flaperon pretty straight, but I could not remove the dent.  I filled the dent with some body filler.
That's it for today.