Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Complete Wing Repairs

Today I spent some time at the hanger finishing the repairs on the wing.  I was able to sand out all of the body filler patches made yesterday.  I also made a trip to Lowe's and purchased some 8/32x3/4" stainless steel flat head screws for the PVC fairing on the vertical stab.  The 5/8" screws are just a little short so the longer screws work really well.  I used some 220 grit sand paper and sanded all of the filled areas from yesterday.  After doing the sanding I needed to so some additional filing on the stabilator trailing edge.  I mixed some body filler and applied it to the low spot from yesterday.  While it was setting up I drove to Lowe's and purchased the screws.  Upon my return I sanded the stabilator patch.  I then used some 400 grit paper and resanded all of the patches.  They are in pretty good shape for painting.  I used a cloth and cleaned up all of the sanding dust and wiped off the surfaces. 
After taking care of the sanding mess I reinstalled the flaperon on the right wing.  I need to turn the right wing around on the wing rack and push it back into the corner of the hangar. 
 
As I was installing the flaperon I had a visitor drop by.  This fellow is an instructor at the Salt Lake Community College in the Aviation Maintenance Program.  He was very interested in the airplane and wanted to know all about it.  He said one of his assignments given to his students is an effort where they have to contact the many kit manufacturers and do some research on the kits they offer.  The students are supposed to pick a kit and then write a report telling all about it.  He said many of the students write up Van's RV's.  This is the first time he has seen an RV-12.  He was very impressed. He asked if I would be willing to speak to his classes this fall and tell my experience in selecting and

building my own airplane.  I told him I would be happy to.  He said he will come and see me again.  My next project is to install the rear window and then the trim tab on the rudder.