Friday, March 28, 2014

Upholstery

The first thing I did today was connect the tank filler to the top of the tank.  
I began to install the upholstery and bulk-head covers.  We are having a family and friends gathering at the hangar on Saturday the 29th for lunch.  I want the airplane to look as finished as possible for the lunch.  I set the baggage compartment bulkhead in place then put in the rear bulkhead upholstery. It is all there temporarily.  I also put the tank cover in place and by pressing down on the Moller fuel gauge I was able to make an indentation on  the back of the cover so I could cut out the opening for the Moller gauge.  I also cut a slot and a hole for the new tank vent.  I laid the baggage floor access panels in place then installed the rest of the upholstery including the tank cover.  I think it looks pretty good.
I removed the seat backs and installed the upholstery on the floor of the fuselage.  I also put the upholstery over the tunnel between the pilot and co-pilot pedals.

For now much of the upholstery is laid in loose because I will need to remove it along with the access panels for the certification inspection.  I have spoken with and exchanged emails with Tom Gierhart, the DAR who will be doing the inspection.  I also checked with the Federal Aviation Title Company about the status of my registration.  The forms have been submitted but they don't think any action will be taken until after the 18th of April.  I let Tom know.  He is going to Colorado in April so we will probably have the inspection towards the end of the month.  I will be flying to the Dallas-Fort Worth, TX area on the 28th-29th of April for some RV-12 transition training.  Things are moving along but they are getting complicated.  I also spoke with Dave Wisenger who is going to paint the airplane.  I told him I am going to Erie, PA for 10 days in April and maybe he could begin painting while I am gone.  We'll see how things go.