Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Filler Tube, Tie Down Rings, Vent Cap

It was cold and rainy all morning.  The temperature in the hangar was around 38o, or in other words, it was cold.  I took the fuel tank filler tube back with me today.  I looks pretty good.  I laid it on the wing and got the necessary tools and supplies to reinstall it to the turtle deck.  
I also shortened the fuel return line by fractions of an inch.
I mixed up some Pro-Seal and then put some Boelube on the underside of the turtle deck here the filler tube flange attaches.  I attached the tube until some of the Pro-seal began to squeeze out.  I removed the excess with a paper towel and MEK. 
The installation looks good.
After cleaning up the filler tube and making sure everything was OK I decided to seal the holes drilled in the fuel tank cap.  After constructing the tank it was suggested that you drill 3-small holes in the fuel tank cap.  The cap consists of an exterior and interior plate with a rubber ring along the edge between the halves.  As the cam handle it depressed it pulls the top and bottom of the cap together and expands the rubber ring.  This action locks the cap in place and seals the tank.  The holes relived the pressure in the tank when climbing or descending.  With the new tank vent system in place there is no longer any need for the vent holes in the tank cap.  I disassembled the top and bottom parts of the cap and used some of the Pro-Seal to fill the holes.  After I install and seal the rear window in place I will make the final attachment of the filler tube to the tank. After working on the tank cap and setting it aside for the Pro-Seal to cure I turned my attention to the tie down rings under the wings.  Using my creeper I got under each wing and installed the tie down rings.  They are parallel with the airflow under the wings and I am planning to have them painted in place.