Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Engine, Cowling and Oil Door

Today I worked on the engine mount.  I removed the PC washers I ordered from Van’s and replaced them with some 2” fender washers I purchased at Fastenal.  These fender washers are 1/16th inch thick.  After inserting the washers and torqueing the bolts I reinstalled the cowling.  As I checked the clearance of the prop spinner back plate I found the clearance to be just right.  It appears the replacement of the washers was a success.  
Next I turned my attention to the oil door on the upper cowling.  I cut out the space in the cowling door recess.  I drilled the holes for the camlocks and riveted them to the door recess.  I also riveted the hinge to the oil door.
Following the instructions I attached the lugs to the oil door and attached the door to the cowling with the camlocks.  I drilled the holes for the lugs and inserted clecos.  I then attempted to open the oil door.  The hinge hung up on the edge of the opening.  Using my Dremel tool I expanded the opening and the hinge works just right.  I riveted the lugs to the cowling and installed the top on the fuselage.